Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Domesticity and a Baby Project

Today has been a productive one. 

I started by working in the garden, where I harvested a ginormous bowl of tomatoes and three large zucchini to add to my indoor collection of three even bigger zucchini.  I decided it was time to do something with these squash monsters so I figured out how to attach my shredder to my KitchenAid (thanks, Mom) and I grated up four 2-cup bags of zucchini to freeze for later use in bread.  This got rid of...one zucchini.  I even had enough left over to try a new zucchini bread recipe (I've decided I like my Blue Ribbon Zucchini Bread recipe better).  I was pretty exhausted by then (the belly is making standing for very long kind of painful on my back) and since I'd already started my homemade country white bread in the breadmaker (one of the only fails I've had with this machine, I think I shouldn't have added flaxseed.  Next time I won't mess with the recipe and see what happens.) I laid down and looked up more things to do with zucchini.  I think tomorrow I will make up a batch of Corn, Zucchini and Tomato Chowder.  I'll freeze half of it so we've got a meal for later.  I'm also going to make up a batch of my zucchini bread to take around to neighbors who've had babies recently.

If you click on this picture it should make it big enough
to see the entire recipe.  I won a blue ribbon for this recipe
at the Utah County Fair a couple of years ago.  It's really yummy and
After lunch I decided to sew things up for the baby.  I was too tired of standing to work on the curtains so I made a quick little burp cloth using white terrycloth washcloths that Jeremiah doesn't like because they're too thick and some extra fabric I had lying around.  I used this tutorial.  It turned out fine but I really like this tutorial using flannel best.  I made three of these in one hour (a few months ago) using left over flannel pieces. I pieced a rectangle the way you do a rag quilt, then cut out the burp cloth with the pattern, zigzagged the edges and clipped all the seams to make it fray. They turned out really cute and were a great way to use up bits and pieces.

I went through my Pinterest board and found this tutorial for appliqued onesies.  I had everything I needed and in literally 30 minutes I had two super cute onesies finished.  I love my sewing machine, it has an applique stitch and will even sew the buttons on for you (I made sure they were on there really tight).  One thing about this tutorial though; the patterns are adorable but pretty big.  I sized the bird down to 80% (I used 3-6 month onesies) and it's still on the large size.  I eyeball trimmed the elephant and it's still a little large.  I would probably print them at 60-70% in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment