Saturday, August 11, 2012

Nursery Project #9

I decided to try making my own boppy/breastfeeding pillow rather than buy one for $30+.  I found a tutorial and pattern here.

Technically, the pattern is for a cover and includes room for a zipper.  I took the half of the pattern without the zipper instructions, traced it onto a large piece of white laminated cardstock I happen to have lying around under my couch (lining up the area to be placed on the fold with the edge of the paper) then taped a pencil to my sharpie and traced it again, making the pattern a little less than 1/2" smaller than the original.  This way it will be easier to get a cover on/off than it would be if the insert was the same size.

I then cut two pieces of fabric out using my insert pattern (I don't use flat sheets on the beds so I have several just sitting in my linen closet.  I used one of my thicker ones for this project).  I pinned the two pieces together, sewed around the edge (leaving a hole in the middle for stuffing), turned it inside out and stuffed it with polyfill I got on sale at JoAnn's a few weeks ago (I used the whole bag-probably could have used a little more but I didn't want it too firm), sewed up the hole by hand and I was done.  Putting together the pattern took the most time.

Soon I hope to try my hand at a nice soft minky cover for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment